I LOVE stencils! Seriously, I am addicted to them. I just can't get enough of them and there are so many things you can do with them. I've already shared a few different techniques, and today I want to share one using both paint and pens.
- Studio Calico Project Life® cards
- Studio Calico Bubbles Mask
- The Crafter's Workshop "Captured" 12x12 stencil by Ronda Palazzari
- Black Paint Dabber
- White Sharpie Paint Pen
- Uni-Ball Signo Black 207 Bold Pen
- Uni-Ball Signo White Gel Pen
This one is super fast and easy. Also, I want to preface this tutorial with this thought: please remember that mixed media art does not allow for perfection. Yes, the paint is thin and yes it will seep through underneath the stencil and not make a perfect image. The fun is in the mess and imperfection. Just have fun!
1) choose paper or journal card you want to use
2) choose stencils and orientation, as well as paints and pens
3) Dab your Paint Dabber or Paint Pen (I found that I had to rub the paint dabber to get into the smaller lines of the stencil)
4) Leaving the stencil in place, use your pen to outline. This is where I had to remind myself of the imperfection of mixed media. I was really disappointed in how the stars looked... they looked like total blobs and the white circles ran everywhere. I didn't get a photo of the stars because well, I actually thought I was going to toss it and didn't do the pen lines until quite awhile later. You can also see I got a little sloppy with my pen on the pink card too, LOL.
5) Remove the stencil and once they are dry, you are ready to add them to your album, I'm actually in love with the stars now and can't wait to show you the cards in my finished Week 37 pocket page on Monday. It's so perfect for our first week of school and learning about the creation and maps of the world. I just couldn't toss it out.
Here are a few other mixed media tutorials using stencils:
- Gelatos with stencils - just rub it off
- Gelatos, Gel Medium and stencils
- Spray Inks, Gel Medium and stencils
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I will receive a small commission on purchases made, using my link. Thank you for your continued support!