I had lots of requests on how to make the mixed media HOPE ornament I shared last week, so I thought I'd show you how easy it was to make.
- STEP ONE: using matte medium as a glue, glue on tissue paper, wrapping it around the canvas. Then cover with another coat of matte medium. Let dry.
- STEP TWO: paint them with your favorite colors. I like to paint them with two shades of a similar color. While still wet, use a palette knife to scrape away some of the paint to reveal some of the pattern underneath.
- STEP THREE: While they're drying, Stamp your word several times on sheet of printer paper. Be sure to use a permanent stamp ink since you'll be using wet medium on top. Cut them out and glue them to another piece of paper. For stability, I glued them on top of some book paper. I then added a layer of matte medium over the top of the whole page.
- STEP FOUR: I had some heavyweight cardstock that I had painted red several months ago. I used that to cut out the hearts. You can cut them out however you want. I was in a hurry so I grabbed a cut file that I liked and resized the heart to fit on the 2"x2" square. Next, I clicked on "Fill Page" on my Silhouette and had it cut out my hearts. I also used a blending tool and some black ink and rubbed it around the edges.
- STEP FIVE: glue the heart and word on your mini canvas using matte medium. Let dry.
- STEP SIX: while drying, I cut out some loops with twine. Then, using hot glue, glued them to the back of the mini canvas.
VOILA! Hot glue dries pretty quickly so you can hang them right away. In all it didn't take long to do this project. As long as you're working on other steps while the paint and glue are drying, it goes pretty quickly. I did a dozen of these ornaments in an afternoon during nap time.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I will receive a small commission on purchases made, using my link. Thank you for your continued support in keeping this blog running and to help purchase supplies for the tutorials and inspiration!
- FRIENDLY REMINDER: There are only a few more days left for the discounted registration for Truth Scrap. You don't want to miss out on so many really talented artists sharing their art and faith with us. I can't wait! I'm so very excited to hang out with them and learn from them. I can't wait to share with you my process. I hope to see you on January 31st! Be sure to use code ADVENT at checkout for an extra $20 off through 12/24.